Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tasty Treat

I am always looking for healthy/fun snacks for my kids...so I thought this might be a useful category to have! Feel free to post any of your favorite snacks too!

I found this basic recipe online years ago...but tweaked it enough over time that I now consider it my recipe! Give it a try...and the beauty of this one is that you can switch it up to whatever you like or what sounds good at the moment!!! Granted it's not the healthiest thing out there...but it's whole grain, slightly filling and I know what ingredients are going into it - no crazy preservatives or anything!!!

Chewy Granola Bars

Ingredients:
4 ½ cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
½ cup butter – melted
2/3 to ¾ cup honey
¼ cup brown sugar

Add-ins…these are some combinations that I’ve liked.
- Chocolate chip (1 cup) and marshmallows (1 cup) - my kiddo's favorite!!!
- Chocolate chips (1/2 cup) and peanut butter chips (1/2 cup) - my favorite combo! :)
- Craisins, coconut, chopped almonds – really good! Add in a ½-3/4 tsp of cinnamon with other -dry ingredients!
- Cinnamon and raisins
- Anything that sounds good.

Mix together the oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in any add-ins. Melt butter and stir in honey, vanilla and brown sugar. Pour over oat mixture and mix well. Press mixture into cookie sheet (or just a 9x13 inch pan if you want really thick bars). Press mixture in firmly! Bake at 325 for 18-22 minutes (less time for thinner bars, more time for thicker bars). I press my bars down again after I take them out of the oven with a spatula. Let cool for 10 minutes in pan, and cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing. They’ll crumble if you take them out too soon or don’t press them firmly enough!!!
You can wrap them individually or place in an airtight container. They also store well in the freezer. They actually taste pretty good frozen too!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Yum- these sound really good. And better than store bought because you can control exactly what goes into them. Good thing my grocery shopping day is tomorrow! I can get some yummy add-ins!

Megan said...

For those of you who don't know Danielle, EVERYTHING SHE MAKES TASTES FANTASTIC!! I'm excited to try these too. Especially because my kids can eat granola bars like there's a famine!

Dani said...

Ha Megs! You're too nice! I'm not sure my family would agree...but thanks for the cooking praise! Now I really hope you guys like those granola bars...the pressure's on! :)

Megan said...

Ok, so I made them and they were still crumbly despite all my attempts to smash, smash, smash. I think they may have been too thick because the outside edge was intact, but not the inside. Any longer in the oven and they would have burned. Any tips?

THEY WERE STILL SO GOOD!!! ADAM (and I) CAN'T STOP PICKING AT THE CRUMBLES!

Dani said...

Sorry to leave you hanging Megs...I just saw your comment! Maybe try adding a bit more honey next time. That should help it stick together better! Also, make sure you wait until they are completely cooled to try and take them out of the pan...they crumble all over the place if they're still warm...of course, sometimes I don't mind that! :)
Good thing the crumbles are so tasty still...just consider it really good granola and you can't go wrong!!! :)