Sunday, April 13, 2008

Another Special Time Idea!

This is a little addendum to the "Kid Date Night" post earlier. It's such a great idea to give kids their own time with us parents. I just thought I'd add my own experience and thoughts.

My mom and dad had something similar to a kid date night but called it a "Special Time" for me and my sibs all growing up and we LOVED it. The only difference was that, because there were 4 of us, we each got a "special week" of each month. During our special week, if we went to the store with my mom, we got a special treat. One of the nights of the week we got to stay up and have a "special time" with my mom and dad where we got to pick a game and treat. Then my parents would write us a little note in our "special time notebook"(one of which I still have and treasure!). And all during the week would be my mom's designated time to think about just us, and focus on our needs- whether it was replenishing our clothing, helping us with a certain school project, praying for something specific for us, etc. Not that she wouldn't do that at other times during the month! But, that week she just had it scheduled in to do those things for each of us- so noone got overlooked.

Make sense? Just thought I'd add these other ideas as options to the Special Day idea. We do this with my 4 and 2 year olds and they love it. They also love their Daddy Daughter Dates on the weekends. Usually this is just going to the pet store to look around, and then getting a treat. Or going to a park with ice cream. Or even just going to the store and picking something out. They just crave that one-on-one attention, and I can tell it's really good for their daddy-daughter relationship. That's all for now!

0 comments: