Sunday, October 12, 2008

Potty help!

Another potty training question, moms. Brigham (4 and 1/2) is potty trained. Until he isn't. And I don't know what to do. When he has some emotional trauma (ie, new preschool, Daddy out of town, leaving the Grandmas) he regresses. All the way. And I mean, all the way-both ends. Although, recently, there has been no reason.

I even pulled out his old sticker charts the other day. Seriously, if this is the one developmental thing that's hard for him, I can cope. But honestly-there have to be some better ways.

HELP!!

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Can I just add a big DITTO to this? I don't know what to do either, with my 4 1/2 year old who seems to think that because we're potty training her younger sister, SHE has to re-learn as well. It is so frustrating to have to go through it all again- I'm with you on that.

Here's what I am currently trying:
1-Since I give her little sister a skittle every time she goes potty, I give HER 2 skittles at the end of every "no-accident" day. I remind her often throughout the day "Let's see if we can have a no-accident day!" She has seemed to like this, and respond to it, but I have to remind her frequently.
2-I make it mandatory to TRY to go potty before we leave to go anywhere, before we go outside, before a quiet time. This way it's always on her mind, and she is more aware of her body throughout the day.
3- If she has an accident I really try not to show any frustration, and calmly say, "Well, you better clean it up." It seems like she was using it as mommy-time, and just wanted the attention. So I've been trying to have more mommy-time during the day with her, and making her clean up her own mess (with a towel, and a Clorox cleaning wipe), and put her clothes in the washing machine.

This has seemed to help...but what does everyone else suggest?