Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Summer Boredom

Help!! I'm not sure what is going on but ever since my 6 year old finished kindergarten we have been in an "I'm bored Mom" stage. He doesn't express himself that way, mostly in other ways like pestering his brother and sister, wanting to watch TV constantly, destroying things around the house. Every suggestion that I make is met by a "no." I try to do or go to one fun thing a day and there are friends in the neighborhood to play with, but the attitude and problems remain.
Any suggestions will be most welcome!!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

My kids aren't old enough to be at that stage yet, but I recently saw a couple things that might be helpful. This site talked about a summer poster with all the activities the kids could do. http://www.designmom.com/2008/06/welcome-burgin-streetman.html Or this mom had job jars that you could put activities in instead of jobs. http://www.makeandtakes.com/job-jars

emily said...

I don't have kids in that stage yet, so I realize I don't really have any right to give advice on this subject. However, my grandmother used to say she didn't understand how kids could be bored; when she was growing up they had so little free time to themselves that when they had it, they really valued it. They spent a lot of their time working around the house. I know our kids our a bit young to be spending all day doing chores, but I have tried to involve my girls (4 and 2) as much as possible in the daily grind of cleaning, dishes, laundry, making meals, etc. It takes me a lot longer to do things, but it gets them busy and involved and teaches them to work. I have noticed that when I do this, they do play much better and require less of my attention when they have free time.

Anonymous said...

How about some activities where you get involve with the whole family.

I do an activity a day where both kids are involved.