Thursday, November 20, 2008

Smart time in the kitchen

I saw this during a random channel-flipping on Rachel Ray, and I hope I'm not the ONLY person who hasn't thought of it. It is genius.

Onions. Kids hate them. But, we all know that they make things taste better. So her suggestion was to cut it in half, and dice up the half without the roots/strings. Then you pull as much of the strings off as you can with your hands and just plunk it in. When your food is ready, just take it out and toss it. Genius! The food still tastes good, but isn't infiltrated by onion.

I do this now with celery too, in soups. My kids won't touch celery, but it makes such good broth, I just cut each stalk in half then take them out.

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow- that's a great idea. My questions is, does it give the food the same nutritional value as eating it? Probably not fully, but close. That's my guess. Anyways, thanks for sharing. No, you're not the only one who hadn't thought of it!